Landmarks in the region
The Teteven Balkan Mountain is in the central part of the majestic Stara Planina. It is famous for its beauty, high clifftops and centuries-old forests. Its territory is highly differentiated and with a difficult terrain.
The admiration of the writer Ivan Vazov from Teteven and its vicinity makes him exclaim:
'Had I not come to Teteven, I would have been a foreigner to mother Bulgaria, too... I have roamed a lot, I have wandered a lot, but I have never seen a more marvellous Heaven.'
One can visit not only natural but also many historic and religious sites in the Teteven vicinity. Some of them are:
- Sv. Georgi Pobedonosets /St. George the Conqueror/ Glozhene Monastery, village of Glozhene.
A Bulgarian holy place from the 12th century with a unique location, historic role and spirituality.
- Kostina Locality, village of Ribaritsa.
One of the leaders of the April Rebellion – Georgi Benkovski – was betrayed and killed at the place on the 12th May 1876. The notorious Bloody Well, where he was decapitated by the Ottomans, is also there.
- Saeva Dupka Cave, village of Brestnitsa.
One of the oldest caves in Bulgaria. It is supposed that it was formed 3.5 million years ago. Its length is 400 metres, it has 5 halls and the temperature is almost permanent all around the year.
- Sv. Vseh Svyatih /All Saints/ Church, Teteven.
Vasil Levski performed his Axion Estin as a deacon and chorister in this church in 1870.
- Boatin Nature Reserve, near the village of Divchovoto.
Known for its centuries-old beech and spruce forests /100-200-year-old trees/ and its rare flora and fauna.
- Sveta Troitsa /Holy Trinity/ Monastery of Etropole and Varovitets Waterfall, Etropole.
The monastery was the most significant learning and study centre in the Bulgarian lands in the 16th and 17th centuries after the Rila Monastery. The famous Etropole calligraphic and artistic literary school was established and developed here. The waterfall is just behind the monastery walls.
- Skoka Waterfall, Teteven.
- Ethnographical Museum, village of Cherni Vit.
- Yorgo’s House Museum, Teteven.
- Bobev’s House Museum, Teteven.
- For the fans of tourism and mountain hiking, the region offers numerous eco trails and routes. You could find information about them at the local tourist societies.
Copyright © 2022 Izvor MB ltd.